Facebook is a powerful and necessary platform for not only existing customers to stay updated with your restaurant, but also as an introduction to potential new customers. It shapes how your restaurant is viewed in the digital world prior to them arriving.
A well-polished Facebook page ensures that users are given the right impression when they land on your Facebook page and in turn are more likely to interact with your posts and increasing discovery. You will want to ensure that you have built your page with a solid foundation to increase the chances of these user interactions as well as them initially discovering your page through the many avenues that Facebook has to offer. By doing the following, you will guarantee that your Facebook page will be discovered by not only more people but also by the audience that is relevant to your restaurant.
1. Verify your Page
To provide confidence to your potential customers, a Facebook verification badge ensures them that they’ve found the official Facebook page to your restaurant. This will be displayed at the top of your page alongside your restaurant’s name and will also be displayed in any search results. This is a very simple process and it is possible if you have a profile picture & cover photo (which you definitely should have).
- To verify your page, first, click Settings at the top of your page
- Then from General¸click Page Verification
- Click Verify this Page
- Enter your restaurants publicly listed phone number for your business, your country, and language
- Click Call Me Now to allow Facebook to call you with a verification code
- Enter the 4-digit verification code and click Continue
If you would prefer to verify your page with a business document as opposed to a phone call, then follow the steps as set out above and instead click “Verify this Page with documents instead”, and upload a picture or scanned in image of an official document showing your business’s name and address.
2. Personalize your URL
When you first create a Facebook page, you might notice that your page URL consists of a random bunch of numbers & letters which can make it hard for you to direct customers to your page.
You will want to change your page URL to something that is simple and descriptive to your business.
Choose something that is relevant to your business, we highly suggest just your business/venue’s name, as this is straightforward to remember and will also help with your SEO.
To do this:
- Click Create Page @Username on the left side of your page
- Enter Username
- If the username is available, click Create Username
Be VERY careful when you choose your username/URL, as once it’s changed then it can’t be edited or deleted.
3. Help your customers find you!
If users are on your page, then they will want to find out as much as they can about you! It’s EXTREMELY important to include as many details as possible for customers to be able to get in contact with you, find out where you are located and see when you are open.
All these details can be added by simply doing the following:
- Visit your Facebook page.
- Click About on the left side of the page.
- Click Edit page info
Here on this page, you will see that you can add multiple pieces of information about your business, such as:
- Phone Number
Most of these will be very straightforward and specific to your restaurant, but the categories part will be a bit more varied depending on your venue. It’s important to remember that you can only have a maximum of 3 categories for your page, so make sure to choose the categories that define and represent your restaurant the most.
Here are some examples of categories that you can display and alter to your needs:
Restaurant, Indian restaurant, Sushi restaurants, Barbecue Restaurant, Bar & Grill, etc.
Make sure you fill out every one of these fields as accurately as possible.
4. Relevant & high-quality posts
Once users have liked and followed your page, it’s important to keep them engaged and interested in your restaurant. These users have liked your page for a reason, so make sure to keep them updated with any news or updates about your restaurant, whether that be something simple like a change to opening hours or something huge like a brand new menu, this is all information that they want to know!
Facebook is a very visual platform, and you should rely on eye-catching imagery/video in your posts where you can, so if you have a new menu, high-quality make sure to include high-quality images of the new dishes, also try cropping and editing your photos to put them in the best light.
Try different style posts, it’s important to test what works and what doesn’t work with your audience, so keep an eye on the Publishing Tools tab within your page manager and see which posts get the most interaction and reach.
5. Take your page to the next level
These are just some simple steps to make your Facebook page more discoverable, there is always more to do, so once you’ve done all that make sure to look into action some of the following:
- Facebook users LOVE video – Make sure to vary your content and upload relevant video content.
- Tag your videos within the video editor. Help users find your content by tagging them with relevant keywords.
- Invite your page to your friends & customers – Your friends & customers are an audience, so make sure to invite them to your page!
- Invite your page to users who have liked your content – any users who have like your posts are interested in your restaurant, so make sure to invite them to your page
- Install Facebook Pixel on your site, ensuring you can re-target them if you set up paid advertising campaigns